Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nostalgia

Today is December the 1st, "Advent calendar's", although now they have chocolate behind the window, whereas when I was a child it was just a window!! a very nice sparkly one though! I do make sure it is at least christmasy & doesn't have tinkerbell or ww wrestling on the front!! the girls were very excited to open #1, after breakfast though, I insisted, dont think I have ever seen them eat breakfast quite so fast...oh the joys of being 6 & 8..
There was lots of things I loved about christmas as a little girl, but  in particular there were 3 ornaments that were special, the first being  Angel Chimes, I loved them, each christmas I would stare at them for hours fascinated by the angels going round by the heat of the candles, making a soothing tinkering sound as they passed the cymbals, I also loved the advent candle it was a candle with 1 to 24, each night you would light it so the number of the day dissappeared & then blow it out until the next day, sometimes though we would forget!! & be devastated. The last one was another candle but as it burned lots of different colours would run down the holder to a waterfall of gorgeous colour, back then in the 70's it was a mateous rose bottle because of its shape.



Geraldine very kindly found me some Angel chimes & sent them to me, from the look of the box they came straight out of the 70's, they are from Sweden, very european, & the drippy candle I found new in its box, also left over from the 70's at a trash & treasure market, I couldnt believe my luck, would love an advent candle though, maybe I will look for one for next year, my girls too love the Angel chimes, I want them to feel how I did at christmas when I was little, feeling very nostalgic today x

2 comments:

  1. It's been snowing quite heavily, so it feels very Christmassy here!
    I loved the Angel Chimes too, I think they came from 'Auntie Sylvia in Germany' as did the sweet wooden tree decorations.
    I think December was the only time you got up early, to open the Advent calendar! That candle! I know you were looking for one for ages - glad you found it!
    To Winchester on Sat, and they have a German market by the Cathedral, so I'll find some lovely things no doubt. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mirror, too! The chimes look perfect where you have placed them.
    Love the jamas - remember we used to match sometimes? x

    ReplyDelete